Lead Evangelist’s Report at the 2016 AGC of the ICOC Nigeria
Lead Evangelist’s Report at the 2016 Annual General Conference of the International Church of Christ Nigeria on Saturday 04th June, 2016 at 16/18, Akanbi Onitiri Close, Surulere, Lagos.
Members of the Leadership Group,
The Board Chairman/Members,
Distinguished Members of Staff,
All disciples present here today. All protocol observed.
Click HERE to download 2016 AGC Reports
I am delighted to welcome you to the 2016 Annual General Conference of our Church in Nigeria. God has truly been gracious to us in the past 12 months since we last converged like this.
The Power of One – Forty-Day Fast
As is now customary with us, we observed a 40-day prayer, fasting, and Bible study from 2nd January – 10th February. It was a 40 day journey we collectively embarked on as Disciples of Christ to inspire us to a deeper union with Christ and to build on our unity of faith, purpose and mission.
Church Growth: 2015
BEGINNING MEMBERSHIP JAN 2015 – 2,508
BAPTISMS – 171
RESTORATIONS – 42
MEMBERSHIP WITHDRAWALS – 126
Actual Growth – 87
Net Growth – 82
Current Membership Total: 2,595
The period in review recorded many activities that affected positively our Leadership development in many diverse ways.
A. WEST AFRICA MISSIONS LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE WARRI 2015 – Build – August 21st – 24th, 2015
The 2015 West Africa Missions (WAM) Leadership Conference ‘Build’, held in the oil rich city of Warri, Nigeria was a resounding success as more than 600 people attended the well organized and colorful grand finale at the exquisite hall of the Petroleum Trust Institute, Warri. WAM 2015 witnessed visitors from all over the sub-region with representatives from Ghana, Guinea, the Gambia, Sierra Leone, South Africa and the USA. It was 3 incredible days of inspiring classes, worship and great fellowship in the Niger Delta city as Warri successfully hosted the WAM Leadership Conference for the very first time and also its 20th Anniversary celebrations.
B. THE 2015 International Campus Leadership Conference – ‘BUILD!’
The ICOC Campus Ministry’s annual International Campus Leadership Conference (ICLC) 2015 was held at the Eko Tourist Resort, Ibeju Lekki from 26 August, 2015 and the heptad edition focused on the practicals of Building: Body, Mind and Spiritual virtues. Participants were from over thirty Universities and colleges across Nigeria, Africa and the beyond. At the end of the five-day event, participants were groomed and mentored in basic skills and disciplines needed to take their spiritual, academic and social well-being to a much higher and healthier level.
C. The 2015 National Single Retreat, Ilorin
The 2015 National Singles Retreat, held from the 19th-22nd of November, at the Agricultural and Rural Management Training Institute (ARMTI) was efficiently hosted by the Ilorin Church and witnessed participants from all across the country.
Teaching Series: The Ministry Training Academy
The Lagos Church commenced a 2 Weeks Ministry Training Academy (MTA) on the 13th of June, 2015. The training started with a class on The Introduction to the Old Testament Survey. Further classes were on Why We Survey, The Bible as a Library, Languages on the Old Testament and the Themes of the Old Testament Book. The aim of the survey
- Afford a broad overview of the Old Testament
- Explore the relationship of the Old Testament to the New Testament
- Enrich and improve our devotional lives
- Spur us to further study of the Old Testament
- Help us make it to heaven.
KIDS KINGDOM: 2016 CHILDREN MINISTRY LEADERS RETREAT
The 2016 Nation-wide Kids Kingdom Ministry Leaders Retreat was held in Lagos from Friday 11th – 12 March, 2016. The bi-annual event, in its second edition, was specially geared towards meeting the needs of the KK Coordinators in the church and witnessed participation from every church in Nigeria, except Kaduna.
Lagos Church to Launch School of Missions
As many of our churches in Africa enter their third decade of planting and many pioneer missionaries and leaders gracefully age, it becomes most apparent that a new and younger breed of trained leaders emerge to consolidate and take the mission to new and even greater heights.
Encouraged by the selfless financial support of our sister congregations in the U.S, the Lagos church, in collaboration with all affiliates congregations in the West Africa Mission family of churches will in September 2016 launch the first batch of a three year intensive ministry training program.
This program will involve the selection and recruiting of young, single disciples (men/woman) or newly married couples from across our churches, home and abroad.
South-East: Leadership Training For South-East Bloc Leaders
Port Harcourt church hosted all the South-East Bloc Leaders of the International Church of Christ, Nigeria in a 3 day Leadership training program. The training for the South-East Bloc, made up of four churches (Port Harcourt, Yenagoa, Uyo and Calabar) commenced on Friday 29th of April 2016 and ended on Sunday 1st May with a special service.
A. 2015 ICOC NIGERIA YOUTH CORP
Themed ‘Building for Tomorrow’ the 2015 ICOC Nigeria Youth Camp was held at the New Era Youth Camp (NEYOCA), Ibeju Lekki with over 400 Teens, Pre-teens and Coordinators in participation. The children were trained on leadership qualities and godly standards and also steered in the direction of establishing solid relationships with God through a series of Quiet Time and Devotional studies. They were also Outreach activities as the children learnt to give as they enriched the lives of the less privileged and needy in the society.
B. ICOC CALABAR BAPTIZES FIRST KINGDOM KID
It was a great joy for the family of Asikong and the entire church in Calabar, Cross River State as Gideon Asikong made Jesus the Lord of his life on 3rd of May, 2015. Gideon’s baptism marked a landmark for the Calabar church as he becomes the first Kingdom Kid to be baptized.
Some other activities in 2015-16 also include:
- Women’s Day/Forum – Port Harcourt (September 2015), Ogba-Agege, Lagos, (October 2015), Abuja (October 2015), Ibadan (March 2016),
- Campus: Ladies Time Out – Behind Closed Doors! (October 2015)
- Teaching Trips/Visits: The Teaching Ministry of the Lagos Church was excited to announce the visit of some of our inspiring leaders from all across our movements – from our sister Church in the Philippines, Dr. Roland Monje, from New York, The Weins and Sam Powell, and the Livingstons
- The ICOC Lagos Benevolence Ministry Economic Empowerment Program – The Benevolence Ministry of the International Church of Christ, creatively opened up its regular poor program in 2015 to support less privileged with Economic Empowerment Program,where knowledge were impacted in 3 different skill centers in Tailoring/Fashion designing, Leather working and Baking & Pastries.
- The ICOC Easter Praise Fiesta Concert/Family Fun Day
- Lagos Church’s Teens Got Talent – December 2015
- Ilorin Church Celebrates Single/Campus Week – Arise and Shine
- The ‘I Choose Us’ Workshop for all young Married couples between 0-5yrs
- 2016 ICOC Lagos Church-wide Singles Workshop – April 23rd with the Theme: “Godly Values…The Way to Go!”
- Somolu-Mushin: God gave the women of Shomolu Mushin region a faith inspiring breakfast meeting on the 19th of March. Tagged “Bible Over Breakfast” and held at the region’s facility at Merret close in Yaba, there were over 220 women in attendance and 135 visitors.
In all, we are very grateful for the strides we have taken in the 3 pronged phase of our focused areas of maturation. I want to thank the Board and Elder for their incredible support and visionary leadership in moving administration in tandem with our vision 2020.
May God give us wisdom in our deliberations at the working sessions, as we tackle the issues of strengthening our membership base. God bless you all!