Full name: The Republic of Ghana
Population: Ghana has a population of 25.5 million
Area: 238,533 sq km (92,098 sq miles)
Major languages: 11 official languages including English, African languages including Akan, Ewe
Major religion: Christianity, Islam, indigenous beliefs
Life expectancy: 62.4
Monetary unit: Cedi
Main exports: Ghana is the world’s second largest producer of cocoa beans.
More Fun Facts About Ghana
Internet domain: .ghInternational dialing code: +233
- The Republic of Ghana in west Africa is a land of lowland hills.
- It was once known as the gold coast, as the country is the second largest producer of gold in Africa.
- Ghana is the world’s second largest producer of cocoa beans.
- Accra, the capital, is a large city with a population of 4.1m.
- Ghana has a very hot climate as it is near to the equator.
- Lake Volta is the largest artificial lake in the world. It extends for over 320 miles and can be seen from space.
- The colourful national costume is made from hand woven cloth called ‘kente’.
- Malaria is a major disease carried by mosquitos which thrive in the warm wet climate.
- Ghana has a space program and plans to launch a satellite in 2015!
Accra website: http://www.icocghana.com/